Thursday, June 20, 2013

New Gyms are like New Relationships, only better.

Today I finally had a good great excellent amazing sign me up for more day at my new gym. I changed gyms not because my old gym and I had a falling out or anything, but just like with any relationship, my new gym had so much more to offer me and for only $10 bucks more per month.

So far this month I've only used the machines in the big work out room. But today I said, "Janice, you're going to use one of the reason you changed gyms today. So either Zumba at 9:30 AM or the pool. Make a choice." And since I didn't get home form work until midnight last  night, I opted for the non alarm setting option.

It was awesome. I did 15 laps, which is kind of ballin' since I haven't been in a pool for physical fitness purposes since Glasgow. Then I literally took 5 minutes deciding whether or not I wanted to climb out of the pool.

Some back story: I've never been able to climb out of pool gracefully like the other kids.

Ok, not a huge "story" there per say but there it is. When I tried back when I was a kid I could never ever do it and not look like a total tub. There were times I tried and either failed or times when (and I still have these horrific images of this happening) my friends would push me out of the pool by shoving my butt. Ugh. That's a life flashbacks I never needed to have.

So here I am, 29 years old, standing in the shallow end of the pool, deciding whether or not I want to potentially make a fool out of myself in front of a mother, her two children, 2 girls who teach swim lessons, one woman who was doing laps and was in no way paying any attention to me and the life guard. Literally. 5 minutes of me sitting there, playing with grate at the edge of the pool.

Finally I just went for it. And I did it. 13 year old Janice pats you on the back 29 year old Janice. Bravo.

Next goal? Do 30 consecutive laps & climb out of the pool on the deep end. Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment