Sunday, August 12, 2012

Raise Your Glass

Apparently I have a way with words. Or so I've heard. But it is true that my toast at my best friend's wedding this weekend was fairly bangin' so I figured as an introduction back into blogging I'd post it here for you all to read, peruse, enjoy, whatever...


There is a Dr. Seuss quote that goes: 

"We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."


And that, ladies and gentlemen, perfectly describes my friendship with Bridget. When we first became friends about 15 years ago it seemed almost instantaneous. I had found someone who truly understood me. 

So I'm going to tell you Bridget & Arthur's love story from the point of view of the best friend who was over 2,000 miles away when it happened. I got to know Arthur through facebook & skype & email. I got to hold Bridget's hand when we were in Barcelona and she'd been away from Arthur for about 2 weeks (the longest up to that time) and she was crying because she missed him so much. *CRAP* (this is where I lost my place and spilled champagne on my speech)

Then when I got home I got to see what all the fuss was about. I got to see not only the man my friend was in love with, but the guy who had won over all of friends. 

When Bridget called me to tell me that they were engaged, I can't lie I started to cry. Instantly I was 6 years old again and someone was stealing my best friend. But then I realized something amazing. I was not losing a best friend, Arthur wasn't stealing Bridget away. Instead, I have gained another best friend. Another person I can love and depend on.

I know that I can count on the McMahons to help with with whatever life throws my way. And that makes me truly blessed. 

Congratulations to Bridget & Arthur, you're a beautiful couple and I'm so glad to call you both my best friends. 



No comments:

Post a Comment