Monday, November 25, 2013

Catching Fire Review (Spoiler: My Socks Were Rocked)

I've given a few days to let get my second viewing in and to process everything. Also, cause I'm a good person, I gave it a few days so that you all can get your Catching Fire fill and I wont be spoiling anything. With that being said, spoiler alert.

The best way to describe how I feel in my core about this movie is that when I was trying to plan out my pee breaks for my second viewing I couldn't figure out where to take them. Because I wanted to see the whole thing from start to finish with my eyeballs again.

Anyway, I've decided that the best way to review Catching Fire, is by writing love letters to the cast. In doing so, I think you'll get my feelings on the movie.

Disclaimer: If I don't mention an actor, it doesn't mean that I don't like them, or hate them, or wish sexually transmitted diseases on them, it just means that their portrayal was everything I had anticipated and have no more to say. So, lay off, Liam Hemsworth was a good Gale, I just don't have anything more to say about it. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Stanley Tucci, you sexy Italian God. How you manage to still make me want to rip your clothes off with purple hair and ginormous teeth I will never know. Somehow you just built on your fabulousity from the first film, making Caesar even more lovable. Really, he represents everything we should hate about the Capital, specifically the glorification of the games, but somehow we just love him. And you gave me everything I wanted from the books. Especially the moment where his demeanor begins to come unraveled, so subtle, so perfect.

Woody Harrelson, you're a sneaky mother f***er. You sneak inside my heart, just like Haymitch does, and then you set up your tent and camp out like a Black Friday shopper. Well done sir, well done.

Elizabeth Banks, just stop. Stop being the perfect embodiment of everything I love to hate. Stop being Effie Trinket in every way, shape or form. Stop pulling off ridiculous dresses, hair styles and makeup applications with such poise that it makes me think I can wear it to the diner for my church meeting. Stop showing us, with your perfection, that even Effie, born and raised in the Capital, can change and has changed and hurts for what is happening. That Effie has finally seen what the Games do to the other Districts. You do all that, with your few lines of regret. You're brilliant. So just stop, ok, you make it hard for the other's to keep up.

Jack Quaid, way to die, again. Bravo. Did you have to scare off all those turkeys though? Rude.

Jena Malone. COME ONNNN!! Come on!! Could you be any luckier? Johanna isn't the easiest character to play, she's got so many layers that she's like an parfait, but good God is she fun! And you nailed the shit out of it. Seriously. Your elevator introduction may be the best thing that ever happened in the history of film, don't tell The Tree of Life or The Life of Pi or any of those other films that exist to be poignant. Your entrance was poignant, because it showed a woman who had taken her power back and knew how to get what she wanted. Most people are terrified of her, so thanks for making her awesome.

Seneca Crane's Beard, lookin' good buddy! Bravo.

Sam Claflin when you were cast last year I was excited, but I had a few friends that were a little hesitant and I told them all the same thing. That when casting Finnick it couldn't just be about looks (which, may I say, bravo to mom & dad Claflin) but it had to be about acting ability. And you hit that sh*t out of the park! (Oh, I'm sorry, that's a baseball reference, it means... home run! so basically it means good job) You gave us small moments of Finnick's pain and glimpses into his life that made me so very excited for your performance in Mockingjay. I cannot wait to see all that you'll bring to the movie. Thanks. To you, I say, Thank you.

Jennifer Lawrence can we just be best friends? I know you have the whole world vying to talk about Thor with you and marathon Firefly over a bucket of popcorn / fried chicken but I really mean it. Also, let just talk about how you bring Katniss to life for me in a way that I never anticipated. Because the novel is written in first person, there are human aspects to Katniss that we miss because she doesn't see them. You do not miss them, you embrace them. You make Katniss more human and more beautiful than I could have dream. So, thanks to you. Call me.

Josh Hutcherson, listen Josh, I don't know where to start with this. Beside quotes from you about being most excited in life to settle down and have a family, besides the fact that you're a gay rights activist, besides your ballin' sense of humor, you're not too hard to look at either. So since you're like 9 years my junior, could you stop making my body feel things? Then as if real life you isn't awesome enough, you step into Peeta as if he's your favorite pair of jeans. Like the part was made for you. There were times in this film where I actually thought "how is he acting because that was just..." and then the thoughts cut out because you were Peeta. You embodied Peeta in District 11, finally being broken of your Baker's Boy naivety. You broke my heart when Snow announced that Katniss was going back into the arena, and you couldn't get your head around your heartbreak. Little moments. Ugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment