Friday, July 15, 2011

The Official (& Only) Harry Potter Review by Janice McCrostie

Unless you get a verbal one.

If you haven't read the books or have no clue what happens & have yet to see it... I suggest you turn back now. I'm playing fast & loose with the details. (As I re-read it though there really aren't any spoilers, I just like the term fast & loose so I'm keeping it)

First, it needs to be shared that a legit Dark Mark shaped cloud floated over head as we waited outside the movie theatre. It was surreal. We all tried to get pictures but it just wasn't an option, so you'll just have to take the word of me & about 500 other adoring Harry Potter Fans. Ok maybe only like 100 because it was probably only from our one angle that you could see it but it was definitely there.

So the movies starts and David Yates waists no time diving right in. Though I'm still digesting a lot of the film, this is one thing I regret. It starts almost to quickly & doesn't give you a chance to catch your breath.

Which is probably why, approximately 45 minutes in, I, Janice McCrostie, 27 year old woman (ehhh woman is a relative term & I guess age is just a number) starting having a full on panic attack. Couldn't breathe, tears trying to get out, sister having to tell me to take deep breaths panic attack. When did this happen? When they started to barricade the castle. Why did this happen? The only reason I can think of as to why I reacted so strongly because I wasn't ready. That's sounds ridiculous and dorky. But it happened & you can judge me if you want.

After that it takes off and it's easy to hold on. The entire film is extremely exciting and intense. Super intense, crazy intense. I can't use the word intense enough.

The only other beef I had is in the commercials so no one can get to made at me. I really don't know what was up with Harry & Voldy's flight pattern at the end. I guess it held some cool moments & the points at the end were meant to drag out the whole and bring it to a crescendo, but I guess I just have an affinity to the original ending of the book.

Ok so on to the acting, which I thought was incredible.

There are no words for Maggie Smith. She's just absolutely fantastic & if you pay the $11 for her scenes alone it's worth the money.

The same can be said for Alan Rickman. I was concerned with the particular happenings of this particular character. It's not that I didn't have faith in Rickman, I love everything about the man, I just didn't know how the character could become what Snape becomes. But, from the very first moment Rickman's face hits the screen I was done for, I knew, he was going to hit it. I had tears, from 30 seconds of a close up on his face, the first of the film. Thank you Alan Rickman, that's all I can say, is thank you for being the Severus Snape that the I needed you to be.

That sounds crazy. But I digress.

Daniel Radcliffe busts out the legit acting chops. All three have come a crazy long way since the first movie & I can honestly say if they play their cards right they have incredible careers ahead of them. Rupert Grint, you cheeky bastard, you got the most tears out of me & I'm actually trying not to cry now thinking of that moment. I'll leave it up to you all to guess when that was, as not to ruin anything to drastically for the non-readers. But the readers, I bet you can tell. It was the part of the books that I still refused to believe actually happened. Emma Watson was gorgeous as always, but I don't think she was given enough opportunity to be fabulous. I guess the Harry to Ron/Hermoine ration in the second half of the final book is extremely outweighed. He does have to kill Voldy. And nothing will be said of Ron & Hermoine's kiss except that it was good.

All & I mean all of the other characters brought it home. Tom Felton made you actually want to hug Draco again (the other time being in the bathroom during Half Blood Prince) & Matthew Lewis' Neville Longbottom is everything I dreamed he'd be. His Bad Ass M***** F***** moment was spectacular! If I went to Hogwarts, once I realized Ron was lost forever to Hermoine, I'd totaly crush on Neville. I always had a thing for awkward guys.

It's been amazing watching the young actors of these films scratch and fight their way up to par with the veterans. They're absolutely on their way...

Now that I'm writing this there is sooooo much more I want to comment on & then I realize, I don't want spoil it for anyone.

At first I was super nervous as to what happens now. You can think I'm a freak for having some place that escape into so completely, in both book and film. You can think I'm crazy for wanting to get dressed and rush to the theatre again right now (it's cool if you do, my mom definitely does) but then I just feel bad for you. Why do I have to be a dork for having an escape. This world is crummy & my life is in a rocky patch. So give me this, give me Harry Potter & his whiley adventures. Give me something that makes me feel like, I don't know, makes me feel like imagination is still an option. That kids aren't just playing kill kill video games, they can actually think and explore. And while exploring then can go on an adventure. I can go too.

Thanks JK. Rowling. It's cheesy and gross but I have no other words but thank you.

I feel like I'm saying goodbye to friends. But that's so silly. The silliest, somehow of all. Because they're not gone, they're up on my bookshelf waiting to be discovered again.

No comments:

Post a Comment