Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ain' t That the Truth?

I've realized there are so many things that I have to do for myself that if I wasn't single I'm pretty sure there'd be someone around to help me with, if not do them for me. I'm not saying that women in relationships don't do these things for themselves, but I just HAVE to do them for myself. Does that make sense? Because I have to do all these things I'm stronger. Because I don't have the option of not doing them.

Like shoveling snow. I'm so over it. Put a pair of glasses on my face, a scarf around my neck and obscure band on my iPod because I AM OVER IT! The driveway at our house is super steep and EthanRayne (my lovely non 4 wheel drive vehicle) can't do even the slightest of hills in the snow. So I get home. I shovel myself in. This morning. I shovel myself out. Take that mother nature.

Do you know what else I have to do on my own? Deal with overflowing toilets. Yup. All on me. If I'm home alone and something goes wrong with the crummy downstairs toilet. I'm your girl. Bring it.

I also pick up my dogs shit.

I also go to EVERYTHING alone. Which can make me a leper at certain events. Don't worry ladies, I'm not trying to sleep with your man, I'm just trying to get through this event without getting so drunk I start crying. Which I'm getting pretty good at, a thank you!

And you know what? I have a love / hate relationship with all these things. Because someday being competent in the art of picking up dog poop and digging myself out of the driveway and unclogging a sink or setting up my DVD player (oh yeah, I do that on my own too) will make me an even better catch. I guess anyway...

But with everything in life there is one thing that gets to me more than others. One thing that twists my little heart. Which is silly because it's the tiniest thing. I can shovel snow and I'm fine. I can clean up toilet water and swing dog shit in a plastic bag while taking a nice little jaunt and I'm fine.

But the time when I'm like "damn, I'm so single and it stinks." is when I'm packing or unpacking my cooler. For road trips and country concerts. When I'm heading down the shore or going camping. I have to pack my own cooler. Buy the ice. Buy more ice. Empty the cold water and rinse it out when I get home. And that makes me feel even more single than I actually am.

It's usually the little things that bother you the most. Ain't that the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment