Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Get Ready to Sigh

I was driving into work this AM & I couldn't find one, not one station that was actually playing music. Gee thanks Tri-State area radio waves. So I stopped on a classical station. It's not my favorite but everyone once & a while I jones for a few Austenian tunes.

And then it happened, the thing that happens when I listen to music like that or watch a period piece movie or pick up Pride & Prejudice for another read or flick on some Downton Abbey.

My heart ached for a time that I  never knew.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super stoked for all the amazing leaps woman have made over the past century. I'm totally thankful that I can drive a car, vote, make my own money, make my own choices & show my boobies off if I so choose.

But sometimes I just think it would be lovely to wear a dress every day, to make myself look gorgeous every day. I mean, people actually tried to look presentable, even if they weren't leaving the house at all. And yeah, I'll admit, I kind of yearn for a time when men had to literally do all the work. I wouldn't be allowed to write you, let alone be in a room with only you. And if I had a crush on someone, I'd have to wait until either I saw him at next months ball or his sister or mother invited me round for tea. I know I would probably have been horribly bored, but it would be nice to have no responsibilities except to read or draw or embroider a cushion. To be able to go out walking on beautiful country sides for my afternoon constitution. And the hair, sweet Jesus the hair!!!

I don't know, for me, there's just something romantic about that.

I wouldn't trade all the rights that I have now for any of that. But sometimes, it's nice to pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment