Friday, March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games

Midnight was an anxious time for me both Wednesday & Thursday night. On Weds I finished my 2nd reading of The Hunger Games & proceeded to toss & turn all night having HG shaped dreams. Then last night I went to the midnight showing of The Hunger Games. I knew it was time because I had my nervous "Do I have to pee? I think I have to pee. No I don't have to pee." feeling as the credits began to role.

Here are my top 10 reasons why this movie was AWESOME.

10. Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark. We all had our tiny reservations, but he pulled him off. He was the Peeta I imagined if only a little less tough at the beginning. I loved him in this character, just loved him. I didn't think it was possible but he made me love Peeta even more.

9. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. Jennifer showed me Katniss as Suzanne Collins made her. As I read I never realized what a little b**** Katniss was because I loved her, ya know? But I kept thinking "God Katniss, be nicer to Peeta!" and that made me realized that is how she actually is in the books, I just couldn't see it. I LOVE IT when actors can do that for me. See a piece of a character that I couldn't quite find and make me go "ABSOLUTELY!!!"

8. Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci & Elizabeth Banks in roles that seem to have been MADE for them.

7. Let's talk about making a world come completely to life because this Gary Ross did that. Completely.

6. The use of music & silence throughout the film is brilliant.

5. Gary Ross took this "young adult" book and made it anything but. What I watched last night was an adult film with intense themes & nearly everything filmed as I envisioned it.

4. I love love love love loved getting to see inside the Game Makers Production room & the meetings between Snow & Seneca. Because the book is written in first person we don't get to see inside they're horrible wicked heads. But last night I did. ahh love.

3. Suzanne Collins's and her brilliant writing. She co-wrote the screen play & I feel helped to create new dialogue for the characters that in no way diverts from the story she originally told, but enriches it. Though some key lines were left out, there were new ones that I found myself thinking "where were you in the book?" And anything that was left out was done so consciously, as if to say "this isn't a hokey teenage adaptation where we are trying to get the audience to swoon with romantic words" but instead, "we're here to tell Katniss' story". They concentrated on the tale of oppressed people who oops happen to be falling in love. Awkward.

2. The Reaping.

1. Peeta's interview, pre-confession. Hands down my favorite part of the entire movie. God I love that boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment