Friday, March 30, 2012

Why are we all so scared of strangers?

I was driving through Madison today & saw a small yard sign that read "Strangers? Not in my schools!"

I have no clue what this is about. Absolutely no idea. I haven't even googled it. I really don't care.

Because that got me thinking about some stuff. Who are these strangers? Why don't parents want them in their schools. But even more, aren't ALL the people working in a school a stranger to you at some point?

There's this old crazy saying that goes something like "All friends start out as strangers." or something equally cheesetastic. But isn't it true?

Before I carry on with my point, I'd like to point out that I am wary of strangers & we all have plenty of reason to be. People, children, pets are kidnapped, murdered, attacked, eaten, bruised, abused by strangers all the time. So I'm well aware that there is actual reason to fear other people out there.

But every person I've even met, started out as a stranger. And they're all pretty awesome.

So here's my thing. We're all so scared of strangers. We're all so petrified by these hypothetical people who have become a type of boogie man to our society.

Let's break down the word stranger. Not really. But lets think about it. Lets at least start with my favorite thing to bitch about... homophobes.

I would go so far as to say that 90% of people who hate on my favorite people don't know even one. Or if they did have someone in their life that at one point they loved, they now consider them a stranger bc this new information is to hard to bear.

But every friend starts as a stranger.

I'm not saying befriend the guy down the street who whistles to himself and is constantly asking you over to see his new basement. cage.

I'm talking about normal strangers. Here is the definition of STRANGE according to www.dictionary.com

Strange [streynj] Show IPA adjective, strang·er, strang·est, adverb  


adjective
1.unusual, extraordinary, or curious; odd; queer: a strange remark to make.
2.estranged, alienated, etc., as a result of being out of one's natural environment: In Bombay I felt strange.
3.situated, belonging, or coming from outside of one's own locality; foreign: to move to a strange place; strange religions.
4.outside of one's previous experience; hitherto unknown; unfamiliar: strange faces; strange customs.
5.unaccustomed to or inexperienced in; unacquainted (usually followed by to ): I'm strange to this part of the job.



So really, what I get from all this. Is that strange = different. And we're all f***ing terrified of anything that's different from us. 
Which is something that blows my mind. I love different. I tease it from time to time. But I flippin' love it. It's what makes this world so great.  

So I guess the moral of this rant is this. Instead of instantly defining everyone around you that you don't know as a stranger, someone different from you that you have no interest interacting with. Maybe think of them as a friend that you don't know yet.

I'm not saying go out for coffee. I'm saying be a little nicer. Maybe smile. Maybe don't be so fricken afraid 24/7. Isn't that exhausting?

2 comments: