Monday, April 25, 2011

I Was the First Hipster

I know right... you're all shocked & excited to know that you are friends with the very first hipster. This is how I realized it...

I was talking to my cousin about the 1950's letterman jacket that I bought at an antique shop in High School. It was maroon & white & had the name Frank on it's front and Lancers across the back. I loved making up stories about who it had once belong to & why Frank gave it up. Truth of the matter was, it wasn't finished. There was no letter on it, I had no idea what sport Frank played. So really it might have been a miss print situation. But I loved that jacket. It sounds crazy but in a lot of ways that jacket helped me to become the person that I wanted to be. It let me be different.

Anyway, I was telling my cousin what a geek I was for making that purchase. (Which was then passed down to her & to my sister - for some reason  I thought it wouldn't be as cool in college. Hmm maybe I wasn't so hip) and she said...

"No! It was awesome... you were one of the first... oh what are they called? Those people who wear anything!?"
"Hipsters?"
"YES!!!!"

Any my friends, since this was 1998, I was the first Hipster.

My sister still has the jacket & I think it may be time for me to take it back. Cause you know... Hipsters are soooo in... 

No comments:

Post a Comment