Friday, April 29, 2011

A Love Letter

Today is an exceptional day. And not just because I actually dragged my ass to the gym at 5:20 AM this morning or because Prince William & Kate took the plunge. But because on this day 28 years ago Sue Ramaglia made the drastic decision to marry Robert McCrostie and the McCrostie Dynasty was born. So I thought, in honor of the love that is in the air, I would write a love letter to my parents, thanking them for choosing each other.

Dear Mom & Dad,

I'll never forget when I was as kid & I found out that Mom had been engaged before you met Dad, I asked what I would be like if you had married that guy. And you told me that I wouldn't be here. I was way to young & didn't understand at all. So, I guess I want to start this letter off by saying, thanks for choosing the rocker.

There are so many things I want to say to you guys & when I was thinking of this letter I kept telling myself how easy it was going to be. I thought to start it earlier in the week, but didn't because I thought it would be a piece of cake. Apparently I was wrong.

Because right now I'm having a hard time finding the right words.

I guess saying thanks for putting up with such a different & difficult daughter is one way to start. I know that I'm not always easy to understand. Mom, I know that our personalities can be so different sometimes you probably wonder where I come from. I love to crack the jokes & be the center of attention, while you prefer to step back. So, thanks for letting me shine. Dad, they say that it's the people who are most alike that butt heads all the time. Perhaps that's why you & I have had our rough patches. But there is no one else I would rather be like. You have taught me to be a considerate, polite person who can use their wit for good instead of evil (well most of the time).

Thanks for being people that I can aspire to be.

And I can't even begin to thank you enough for how you have supported me, which has been far longer than you should have. Both financially with a roof over my head & with anything that I go after. I know that I'm not where I thought I would be, but it's a little easier on my upset stomach knowing that I have parents who have my back no matter what. How could I be any more blessed than to have you two?

Here's the best part, I'm awesome. And you did that.

Mom, I know you & I joke often that I think it's "all about me." It's kind of funny because that joke is in some ways the perfect metaphor for my relationship with you both. The fact that I am totally joking & don't really think that goes along with the wit I get from dad & the ability to care for others the way that I do, I get from you.

Like I said, I thought I'd be able to articulate better all that I have to say, but now my brain has gone pretty blank. And if the above sounds weird, it's cause I'm having trouble saying what I need to say. Wow, that's a first.

Happy Anniversary!

I love you,

Janny

No comments:

Post a Comment