Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Remember that...

RomCom that started with the guy being a total douche and the girl drunk dialing a few weeks later and then he does a complete 360 and realizes he's in love with her and they live happily ever after?

Or that...

Romance Novel where the girl texts and calls the guy all the time and he never really gets back to her and when he does it's on his agenda and then eventually he decides that she's the one and they get married?

No?

Because they don't exist. And for a while I thought it was because RomComs and Romance Novels are so unrealistic, and in part they are, because they only show the most day dreamy sides of love. But it's also because depression isn't always a form of entertainment. Especially for those who enjoy a good romance.

So when Greg Berandt tells us to treat ourselves like the RULE and not the EXCEPTION, he is doing it for our own good. Eventually there will be someone who doesn't have to lose you in order to realize they're in love with you. Eventually there will be someone who wants you around all the time, so much so that they will be texting and calling you.

I've been dating a lot for me. I'm back on OKStupid (yeah, I said it) and although I'm not being AS aggressive as I was in the past there are a few people I've been talking to. I've been on a couple of dates in the past few weeks. Neither panned out to be what I'd hoped, but I'm going. A friend of a friend also asked if he could take me out to dinner. And I said yes. That's like an actual date. Then today he actually called me. Like. On the telephone. I couldn't talk because I was a work but I mean, seriously. That's so 1990.

I've also started utilizing that super expensive CKO Kickboxing membership that I bought, but I need to do that more. I think I'm going to get of OK so that I can do just that. Because, as I've said before I need to work some more on me before I find myself and us.

(In a completely unrelated topic someone please wapp me on the head if I ever start saying "we" in regards to me and my partner. "We didn't like that movie." "We don't like that restaurant." Ugh. Gross. You're two different people, one of you may like pad tai, the other may not.)

Anyway, back on topic. I'm reminding myself every day that life is not a romance novel, life is not a movie staring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling (I just love them together, their chemistry is bangin'!).

Life is realistic. You meet someone. Maybe there's a spark. Maybe there's a friend spark. My last relationship I didn't realize I was in love until I was. I just thought I was in friend love. I wasn't.

Sometimes it takes time. I have to get over the spark.

Sometime the spark lies. The spark is something that happens in Romance Novels and RomComs. In real life, I think I've lost some faith in it.

But "it" isn't everything. So I guess well see.

For now I'm the rule. I have to be. Greg Berandt told me so and I trust him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment