Saturday, February 23, 2013

Stupid Love, Crazy

Last night my family and I were sitting at the dinner table when we brought up Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler. In the original Arthur Conan Doyle novels (which I admittedly know little about), Irene solves a crime before Sherlock. (Shout out to Gina McCrostie for said info)

Because she solved the crime before him, Sherlock had to admit that in this particular case someone was smarter than him. Which meant that for the first time Sherlock was able to love someone. It was because Sherlock found someone that could challenge his intellect that he could love her.

Ok. Here's my argument, and it got kind of heated at the dinner table.

I say that if you think you are smarter than your partner, it will never work. It was then argued from around the table that if people who were smarter than other people never got married than there would be no marriage.

Yes I agree with that. People marry people who are smarter than other's all the time, but either they are a douche and don't voice it, or they have absolutely not idea because they're so in love.

I'm not saying that there would never be any marriages where one person is smarter than the other. I'm saying marriages where someone believes that they are smarter than their partner, it will not work.

Because that's not love. That's a power play. I'm not being very articulate right now.

But my point I guess is this. Sherlock was able to be intrigued and infatuated and in love because he knew that she could beat him. Because he knew that she was better than him at something. And sickly enough he then felt challenge to right this wrong in the fabric of his life.

If someone believes that they are smarter than their significant other, that equals to believing that you are better than them. It's not necessarily something you mean to do, but it happens. Intellectual compatibility is extremely important in a relationship.

And it doesn't have to be in the same things. You may know more about mathematics or science or bull riding or newspaper ink, but guess what? I know more about theatre and cooking and writing and making people  laugh.

Having more knowledge in one topic does not make you smarter in life, it makes you smarter in astrophysics or solving crimes. Sherlock has extreme tunnel vision however and believes that his abilities made him superior to everyone in all aspects of life. He never understood that street smarts are as vitally important in life, as book smarts. He's kind of like Sheldon Cooper.

I guess I'm just blabbering now. But I'm sure it makes sense somehow, somewhere.

I think I'm distracted because Liar Liar is on and Jim Carey keeps cracking me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment