Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Hunger Games

I cannot give an unbiased review of this book right now because I'm so in love. But I can say this...

I've never read a book before that has made me despair in the human race in one chapter and regain all my faith within the next few pages.

It's an interesting character study of what happens when the love of power has taken over all aspects of a nation, forcing individuals to near starvation.

The concept of the novel is one we've heard before. A post apocolyptic North America now called Panem, where The Capital runs the show, keeping all "lesser" humans down through their possession of technology, money and because they have those two things, power. But that's where similarities, for me anyway, end.

After a rebellion years before, The Capital likes to remind the 12 Districts of their control through The Hunger Games. Every year two children ages 12 to 18 are chosen by raffle from each District, one boy and one girl. They are then briefly trained and sent into an arena where they must fight to the death. This is the Capital's way of reminding them that you have so little power in Panem that we can take your children from you to die.

When Katnis' 12 year old sister is chosen, she steps forward to volunteer, knowing she will most likely die. The male chosen is a boy she barely knows, except for small interactions that in some ways re-routed her past. Now they must kill one another.

From there the story takes off. Once The Hunger Games began I couldn't put the book down. I read over 200 pages in one sitting, I had to know what happened next. I became paranoid, worried that someone was watching me, filming me, broadcasting me to the entire country. I had to take breaks because the human spirit simultaneously lifted me up and brought me down to tears.

You have to try these books. I promise you wont be disappointed.

As for me, I ran right out to get Catching Fire and MockinJay, the 2 final books in the installment. I'll probably be done by Friday. Check back with me then.

Suzanne Collins, please write something else... you're amazing.

Oh & send me a questions for tomorrow. Smell you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment