Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Relative Situation

So I actually got a question today. I know right? Color me shocked!

A friend of mine wants to know how long is to long to "friend" someone after you've met them. This was asked on multiple levels, the ever impending love interest, the "wow that person is really cool, I want to be their friend" and one that I'm not sure I totally understand but they're exact words were "someone you thought it would be cool to say you were friends with."

For the first 2 reasons I think it's really relative. It depends on how you left things off. If it was a situation where before you left you both mutually were kind of like "It's been real, maybe we'll run into each other again some time." then I say any time is fair game. If the two of you talked for a while, had really good banter and got on well then why not? Even if it's a few weeks to months later. What's the worst that can happen? They think you're weird, deny you & you never see them again? Boo hoo. Is that really someone you wanted to be involved with anyway? But 9 times out of 10 you're going to add them and not speak to them anyway (sorry, true story for 99% of my random fb adds). So if you really want to get back in contact with this person on a face to face, actual human level, I would say hold some sort of get together shortly after friending them & make a fb invite. Then invite them.

As far as the last "level", wanting to add someone you've met just because you think it would be cool to say you were friends with them... who are you trying to impress? and anyway I'm friends with Isaac Hanson on fb, doesn't mean we hang out. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a fb friendship is not a real one, so once you've friended someone let's try to make actual human contact and let's actually succeed to be able to say you're friends with them.

I hope this helps, this was kind of a rough one because as I said... super relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment