Friday, September 16, 2011

My Week in TV

So this week I've only watched 2 new shows. Ringer with Sarah Michelle Gellar and The Secret Circle. Also I feel I would be remiss (sp?) if we didn't talk a little bit about my other new favorite show, Awkward.


Awkward may be my new favorite show ever. It's hysterical number 1 and secondly the ridiculous situations the main character Jenna (Ashley Rickards) gets sucked into are not that far from what high school was really like for most of us. The show is an examination of an outsider who, after ironic circumstances returns to school as a "suicide" survivor, comes out of her shell and truly learns to be herself. The characters are all fun, funny & interesting. The arch nemisis Sadie (played to absolute perfection by Molly Tarlov) is a chubby cheerleader who has it out for Jenna because of her recent social climbing. But through episodes you find out that Sadie is just as damaged as Jenna she just has very different, and vial, ways of expressing that pain. You're welcome. I know this doesn't sound like a comedy but it really is. Super snarky and always making me giggle. Plus there's the love interests of Matty (Beau Mirchoff) and Jake (Brett Daver), both sweet guys with very mixed up priorities, both make my heart go pitter patter. Especially Matty's "wounded dog you have to love me and forgive me for sleeping with you and telling you I don't want a gf" face. Get's me every damn time. And if you only watch for Sadie's bitchiness and best friend Tamara's (Jillian Rose Reed) ridiculousness, than that's enough but add in the amazingness that is Jenna's mom & guidance counselor and hijinks ensues. I promise you want to check it out. You will not be dissapointed.


I wish I could say the same about Ringer. We all know I absolutely love SMG. She's my girl all way back to Kendall on All My Children. But Ringer actually began like an episode of Buffy, except that this time SMG couldn't throw off her assaulant with on blow to the midsection. She wriggled and screamed and eventualy scooted her way out from under him. The show was kind of ridiculous and not in a good way. I really don't have much to say for it besides that. I like a lot of the actors in this show & I know for a fact that the pilot can sometimes not showcase a shows potential (Friends anyone?). So I will give Ringer another shot, but probably not too many more. Hopefully it will get better soon, or maybe hopefully not. Than the Buffster will realize she should do the BtVS movie we've all be calling for!

Finally, I'm all about The Secret Circle. I watched last night's episode and it's whats up. The show opens with young Cassie losing her mother in what was seemingly an accident, but the audience knows otherwise. Cassie, having lost her father years before, then must return to her mother's home town to live with her grandmother. A town that her mother fled 16 years prior. Now Cassie is confronted with secrets from her parents past and 5 classmates who want her to join their circle. Of course there is the stereotypical bitchy girl, the sweet girl, the edgy nice girl, the pretty boy who knows it and the overly nice guy who's "meant" for Cassie. But all these characters are played with the knowledge of who they are and by young fresh actors. The actress that plays Faye, Phoebe Tonkin is absolutely stunning and equaly terrifying. You know she's meant to be dancing on the edge of evil witch, but there is a vulnerability to her as well. Cassie is played by Brittany Robertson who has had a few pretty good roles in the past that unfortunately didn't last and I think she will do really well in this role. Thomas Dekker plays the, in some ways betrothed to Cassie, nice guy and I have to admit that even I fell for him a little last night. This is definitely a show to give a shot, especially if you like the supernatural. As I Buffy fan, I put my STAMP of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment