Monday, May 2, 2011

Cautiously Optimistic

There's some big news today. Huge news really. Osama bin Laden is dead and Americans have been celebrating. I can't deny that I would love to be celebrating to, drinking a toast to his demise. He was a murderer. But from the first moment that I heard I was cautiously optimistic, because

"...this is a salving moment, not a saving one. The world and the country have simply changed too much since Al Qaeda's attack on that bright sunny September day nearly ten years ago."

Isn't that the truth, there's no going back. There's no magic wand we can wave to go back to how we all felt at 8:00, 8:30, 9:00 AM that morning, nearly 10 years ago. We can dance in the streets but a part of us will always be looking over our shoulders. I will always be remembering that day, a day that I sat cozy in my Northern New Jersey High School and watched everything change with a broken heart. I will always be wondering when it will happen next. I think that the entire country is scarred like that.

So while I am relieved that he's dead, I wont put my guard down. And he did that to me. He did that to our country. Think about how hard we fought to retaliate, multiply that by a bagillion, cause that's how reinforced our defenses need to be.

It is, however, ironic that Hitler's death was also confirmed on the 1st of May. Also that the New York Mets were playing the Phillies (from PA) in the 9th inning with a 1:1 score when the news broke. I know these things are coincidental, but interesting none the less. I'm sure other ironies will pop up as the days pass as well.

Anyway, I would like to thank all the men & women in our military who have made this day possible and I will continue prayers for the families who, throughout this entire ordeal, have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Good riddance bin Laden... now what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment